12 Jan My Favorite Skincare Products Part 1
A lot of people have asked for recommendations regarding skincare products. With my job in Cosmetic Dermatology, I am fortunate enough to be able to get and try different skincare products. In Part 1, I will be discussing the best facial cleansers, toners, moisturizers, and sunscreens. Here are a few of my faves:
- Skinceuticals Soothing Cleanser-I love this cleanser because it is one of the few foaming cleansers that won’t strip your skin. It takes your make-up off without making your face feel tight AF, unlike other foaming cleansers. It is a calming and soothing formulation with a high concentration of botanical extracts to help dissolve impurities. Even better, it will not clog your pores and is free of parabens, sulfates, soap, synthetics, fragrances, dyes, and alcohol!
- VMV Hypoallergenics Spring Cleaning Purifying Facial Wash-this cleanser is another one for oily skin types, a bestseller from one of my favorite companies, it cleans and takes the oils off your face without drying or irritating your skin. VMV Hypoallergenics, a famed skincare company from the Philippines, sets itself apart by removing the 76 most common skin allergens in their products. Their products are backed by randomized, double-blind, evidence-based clinical studies, which not a lot of skincare companies can boast about.
- VMV Hypoallergenics Red Better Deeply Soothing Cleansing Cream-another cleanser from VMV, Red Better helps calm and soothe “angry” irritated skin. I recommend it for my rosacea patients to decrease the redness and inflammation in their skin. It is packed full of antioxidants and monolaurins, which are antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm-this deep cleansing balm dissolves make-up, skin oils, and grime while leaving your skin moisturized and nourished. This is my go-to cleanser when I travel because it does not leak and it leaves my skin hydrated enough where I can do away with not using a moisturizer after.
- La Roche Posay Toleraine Hydrating Gentle Cleanser-removes impurities and make-up while maintaining the skin barrier and pH, this cleanser is safe for sensitive skin. The milky formulation hydrates dry skin but will not clog your pores. Free from soaps, sulfates, oils, fragrances and parabens.
- Atopalm Real Barrier Cleansing Water-from the world-renowned Korean skincare company, this cleansing water gently removes make-up and impurities while leaving your skin moisturized and soothed. It contains Madecossaside, a known therapeutic agent from the plant, Centella asiatica, which has been shown in clinical trials to not only aid in wound healing, but also help build collagen and decrease inflammation.
- PCA Nutrient Facial Toner-an active anti-aging toner using pumpkin wine as a base, it also contains lactic acid and aminoguanidine, a chemical that helps prevent naturally occurring sugars from binding to our skin tissues, also called glycation, which occurs in aging skin. Preventing this makes your skin supple and soft. It may be used once daily but, if you have sensitive skin like mine, apply only 1-2 times a week.
- Element 47 Skin Fortifying Mist-I love this mist because it helps maintain the natural antibacterial properties of the skin without drying your skin out. Safe for the face and body, this can be used as often as you want or need. Perfect as a mist after workout and also to sanitize your hands!
- PCA SilkCoat Balm-I love this rich and luxurious balm. It provides increased hydration and moisture without the greasy feel. It has silk proteins and antioxidants that help soothe and calm post-procedure, dry, and mature skin. Also perfect for dry and harsh climates.
- Zerafite Barrier Repair Moisturizer-this moisturizer perfectly mimics our own natural skin barrier that helps keep water in and irritants out. Made with the Multi-Lamellar Emulsion Technology, your skin will instantly absorb this and give you rich hydration without making you feel greasy.
- Skinceuticals Phytocorrective Gel-this is my go-to recommendation for patients with angry, red, and irritated skin. Loved by my rosacea patients, this instantly calming gel serum contains hyaluronic acid, cucumber, thyme, mulberry, and other botanical ingredients to soothe and calm skin.
- La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat Moisturizer-this oil free mattifying moisturizer targets excess oil and refines pores. This contains the powerful Sebulyse technology, that prevents your oil glands from secreting too much sebum. It also has Lipo-hydroxy acid (LHA): a Micro-exfoliating hydroxy acid that smoothes skin texture, Zinc pidolate that neutralizes shine upon application, and Vitamins C and E: antioxidants to help protect the skin from free radicals
- PCA Sheer Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 45-this is my favorite daily SPF! It is a universally-tinted, non-chemical, water-resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. It also has Ubiquinone (AKA Coenzyme Q10), a potent antioxidant that helps fight free radical damage. It is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. It feels light and goes on smoothly on your skin without the white cast of some sunscreens. Very important for darker-skinned individuals like moi!
- Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50-another physical SPF that I recommend for all skin types, this physical sunblock blends well with your skin. Non-tinted and a little bit thicker feel than the PCA Sheer Tint above, it provides really good coverage and is super affordable. It is also water and sweat resistant for up to 80 mins.
- Coola Rosilliance Organic BB+ Cream SPF 30-this organic BB cream provides sheer coverage with moisturizers and healing ingredients to help support a glowing, healthy skin. Using a proprietary Rose Stem Cell technology that helps restore your skin’s resilience and improve visible signs of aging, Rosilliance glides on smoothly and leaves you with a luminescent glow. I love the rose scent and— it is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
- SkinMedica Essential Defense Mineral SPF 35-with Titanium dioxide and Zinc oxide, this sheer and lightweight mineral sunscreen goes on smoothly and blends easily with all skin types. Hypoallergenic, paraben- and fragrance-free, this is safe for post-procedure and sensitive skin.
Coming up on Part 2: best eye creams, retinol, retinol alternatives, oils, face wipes, and treatment products.
Before starting any skincare regimen, make sure to consult with a provider that has experience and knowledge of cosmeceuticals and cosmetic ingredients, so they can properly prescribe the best regimen for your skin.
Lots of love,